The Drinking Game

 It has been fairly common or I might say, extremely essential to consume alcohol or smoke cigarettes or take drugs maybe for people to actually consider you FUN! Gone are the times where people met to have conversations, share thoughts, enjoy each other's company or even play party games. Like I said, there are is no party without A for alcohol. So, 90's kids, the "birthday parties" that we used to have when we were kids where we would get chips and cake and maybe a samosa in paper plate was not a party at all. 

And forget parties, nobody wants to hang out with you if you don't drink and they will keep asking you why you don't and convince you to drink, just like non vegetarians convincing vegetarians to eat chicken saying, "Paneer samajh ke kha ja!" Is it so hard to have conversations or connect with people without there being a drink on the table? It is that which is wrong with our hook-up generation. Just like people are avoiding forming connections or incapable of forming them with people so they just sleep around to fix their meaningless lives and using alcohol as their means to seem cool or avoiding any sort of emotions.

It is not like I did not try. I tried exploring that aspect and you know what, it doesn't work for me. First of all, the taste- it is so horrible, I instantly want to puke my guts out. Second of all, for someone who always wants control and needs to be in control of life, alcohol is definitely not the way to be. People turning to alcohol to deal with stress and depression is our parents telling us depression is a myth. I mean, there are therapists and there are healthy ways to deal with it. I stress, I have major control issues, wanting to be perfect, having a perfect life, wanting things to be perfect, having those panic attacks when things don't go my way but I don't turn to alcohol to deal with it or drugs or some kind other addiction because even though therapy doesn't solve everything, it is okay to have those stress and anxiety episodes because nobody is perfectly happy all the time but using alcohol, or depending on cigarettes to deal with it is just suppressing your issues because that's what people tell me when I ask them why they have to drink 2-3 times a week or smoke everyday.

Their answer is, "I am going through a lot of stress, there is work pressure, I need these to deal with stress," so my friend, like I said there are healthy ways to deal with it. And the major issue is the company you keep. You did not start drinking or smoking on your own, you learned it or was pressurized into it by your peers then why the need for this kind of validations. Why can't you steer away from such company like I do. It is not easy for me as well, not being included or invited because I don't drink, but I am determined that no company is better than bad company so I am really Zen when it comes to this.

And it doesn't take drinking everyday to affect your health. Drinking does take some form of toll on your health, not now maybe but in future. So my advice to everyone even if nobody is going to accept it is, only hanging out with people to drink or forcing people to drink is not as cool as you though it looks.

Comments

Popular Posts